10 Management Secrets That Will Guarantee
1. Make sure you hire from the bottom of the barrel- Bad employees are great!
They will all but guarantee you a life full of drama. Why be on easy street when
you can have a work force run amuck with thieves, liars and con artists?
Besides, who wants to spend the time and money necessary to do extensive
interviews, skill tests, background checks and character assessments?
2. Over promise and under deliver - Tell people what you think they want to
hear. It's a lot more expedient than radical honesty. The fun thing is there is
absolutely no limit on the amount of promises you can make. If somebody
complains about the last promise you made then make him or her a new one. The
fact is people want to be lied to. This "walk your talk" stuff is for amateurs
3. Keep your business plans to yourself - All this talk about sharing your
vision, mission and goals is pure bologna. People like to be kept in the dark.
Besides, if mushrooms can thrive in that environment why can't your employees?
4. Control as much as you can - Spending your time trying to empower other
people is just so exhausting. Better off engaging in control and manipulation so
that they don't dare think for themselves. If they try to revolt, then bring in
the heavy artillery.
5. Give them all 2's - Everybody knows that the way to motivate people is to
scare the "you know what" out of them. One of the best ways of doing that is to
give them poor performance evaluations. They will be fearful for their jobs and
be motivated to work like crazy just to survive. In fact, it's probably a good
idea to give them disciplinary notices on a regular basis whether they deserve
them or not.
6. Create internal competition - Ever see rats climb all over each other in
order to get at a piece of cheese? Don't think this doesn't work with your
employees too. Make it very clear there can only be one good employee every
month. This is a particularly appropriate strategy in the sales area. Make sure
only one person in your sales organization gets that trip to Hawaii every year.
The less in the way of best practices they share with each other, the better
your odds of motivating them out of a scarcity mentality.
7. Bag the meetings - This business about holding team meetings is highly
overrated. Besides, it just takes people away from doing their jobs. The last
thing you want to do is give people another excuse not to do their work.
8. Work 'em 'til they drop - Squeeze every ounce out of your employees every
chance you get. Never mind that you have to pay them overtime or that they may
burn out and make tons of mistakes. There's plenty more bodies where they came
9. Ignore today's compliance obligations - There are so many personnel law
obligations that trying to reach the "Golden Shores of Compliance" is a futile
effort at best. Better off letting your exposures run rampant and deal with them
in the courtroom. Besides, we just love our lawyers.
10. Train from within - Or, forget training altogether. Better off recycling
ignorance than employing profound knowledge - which can only be gathered from
outside of a system.
Special Bonus Secret
11. Forget your commitments - This bonus secret is a real powerful one and
brings us full circle. Besides, your workforce probably isn't very committed to
you. They say they want to work for you for years and then they quit after only
a couple of months. What's up with that??
|Copyright Information |
||10 Managmeent Secrets That Will
Gaurantee Failure (Lecture Notes)|
||MGT 409C- Principles of Management and
||June 1, 2002 (Received)|
Certain materials herein are included under the fair
use exemption of the U.S. Copyright law and have been prepared according
to the educational multimedia fair use guidelines and are restricted from
further use. This work may be protected by further copyright, reproduction
and distribution (in violation of United States Copyright